Saturday, June 21, 2014

OTP Days 5 and 6 (What a ride)

Dear Readers,

Friday and Saturday have come and gone!
Things here in Pittsburgh are really starting to take shape and blossom.

Friday, because of my car troubles I spent the morning working on my dissertation and practicing bass. I headed out for the bus and caught the bus for Oakland around 11:20 am. I have to admit, the people of Pittsburgh have been - collectively - the nicest people in the US. Their hospitality, kindness and general friendliness, as city folk, has really impressed me. The bus driver was very helpful, I was clearly not from Pittsburgh and he picked up on it right quick [southern-ism].

Miraculously my car started... I know not how or why it started for I knew not why or how it stalled. I then, as I have been everyday, warmed up and practiced at the Pitt school. The R. Strauss lieder are coming a long well! I had a fabulous rehearsal with the cast of the Merry Widow (Anna Singer, Dimitre Lazich, Gail Mosites, Ray Blackwell) and the musical and stage staff (Maestro McDonald, Cat Shaefer, Mo Zhou, Michaella, Jody, Tania Coambs). We had a musical coaching of the act II finale of MW! I get to sing the big tenor aria, for a second time!!

Friday evening, however, I drove back to Rosslyn Farms in the rain, without functional windshield wipers.. dangerous, possibly illegal. It was scary and I drove with extreme caution.

Saturday... day 6... well it's been a wild one!
I ran my first competitive race. The Prevoznak family are very athletic, Ben won first place! They convinced me to run a 2 mile (1 mile down hill 2nd mile back UP hill) race. I won first in my age group - I have the mug and t-shirt to prove it. It poured and soaked us as we ran.

I then did several hours of Bottesini work! I got a ton of info done and I am nearly happy with my translations. Ever days is a little bit closer to the document.

My night however was again a first for me. I was invited by Anne Lackner, who is the Belgian consul for the Belgain Consulate in Pittsburgh (which is the representation of the Belgain Embassy in Pittsburgh), and her husband Vincent to attend a Summer Solstice party at the house of sculptor Susan Wagner. Susan is the sculptor of  Roberto Clemente statue in Pittsburgh and many wonderful and impressive works throughout the country.

The co- hostess was Mimi Jong from Pittsburgh ( Indonesian-born of Chinese descent and German-trained architect, who plays  two-string Chinese violin ERHU). I met about 30 or 40 local musicians, artists, engineers and dancers. I even jammed with them! I hope no one recorded with their iphone. We had a blast, me singing with Erhu, guitar, baroque violin and accordion! It was an artist house party and I really enjoyed myself! Hopefully my singing will get people to come to OTP to see our performances!

It turned out to be a incredibly enriching day. WHO KNEW?

Just wait till tomorrow ;-)

Thanks for reading,
Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment