Monday, July 14, 2014

Between Show 1 and Show 2

Dear Readers,

What a fantastic weekend.

The Merry Widow opened to a resounding success! BRAVI e COMPLIMENTI to all of the Merry Widow Cast. Bravi tutti to Anna Singer, Dimitrie Lazich, Gail Novak Mosites, maestro Bernard McDonald and the entire ensemble.

A special congratulations to Mo Zhou for a great opening night. Mo is the Merry Widow director and has left Pittsburgh for her next gig with Opera North. She put together a fantastic show, look out for her! She's got a great career ahead of her.

My parents drove all of the way from New York to Pittsburgh to see the show! They are quite possible the sweetest people, I am so fortunate to have them both in my life. I am, frankly, fortunate to have two supportive parents. This can be a very challenging, emotionally and financially dangerous business: both of my parents have always believed in me.

This weekend I had some rehearsals for Ariadne on Naxos, and sang in a Cabaret. I also played bass in that Cabaret ;-). It has been a real treat to bring all of my talents here to Pittsburgh, not to mention that I've been able to prepare my Bottesini recital in my off time. I took the incline and had several frozen cosmopolitans (which has become my drink of choice). Mr. Vince Lackner brought me to Bar Marco in the Strip District, it was delicious!

I had a lesson today with the tenor Robert Chafin. It was a wonderful and informative session. We worked on the Flower Song form Carmen, Una Furtiva Lagrima and Che Gelida Manina. We talked about auditioning, singing, and repertoire. Tomorrow I will sing for the mezzo-soprano Marianne Cornetti.

Am in an Aridane rehearsal as I type - I HAVE TO RUN!

thanks for reading,
Joe



No comments:

Post a Comment