Friday, September 26, 2014

Late September News

Dear Readers,

It has been a busy few weeks. After the Capitol City opera production of The Merry Widow ended I spent a few days in Athens to tie up some loose ends with my dissertation. I had such a fantastic time working with Capitol City opera. They really do fine work, and it such a pleasure to work with all of the member of the cast and company. It was also a real treat to sing Camille with a chamber ensemble - I honestly did not miss the full orchestra at all. Bravo to all involved!

Since then I've taken a lesson with Richard Leech (more to come) and gone on some very successful auditions (more on that when things are finalized!). I've also accepted contracts with the Michael O'neal singers for their October 17th concert in Roswell, Georgia; I've accepted an offer to sing Beethoven symphony no. 9 and Brahms liebes lieder waltzes in South Carolina.

This past week, I reunited with the brilliant Elaine Rinaldi to perform a short concert for the St. Patrick's of Maynooth, Irish Education Development Foundation, annual dinner in New York and Philadelphia. I have to thank Dr. Thomas Ledwith and all of the polite clergymen that made for such a rich experience.

Elaine and I met while I was singing Hoffmann with the Martina Arroyo Foundation Prelude to Performance program. We had a blast, Elaine was the rehearsal pianist for the show. She had worked closely with Michael Kaye, who has a authored an edition of Offenbach's Les Contes d'Hoffmann. 

It's always so rewarding to try new repertoire and meet new people. I sang my first Amhrán na bhFiann, the Irish national anthem, at these events. I also sang excerpts from Brigadoon and Most Happy Fella - which were both on the baritonal side of my range - but great fun to sing. 

That's all for now - the bottesini paper is coming along. Please keep your fingers crossed!!
There is a light at the end of this D.M.A. tunnel.


Thanks for reading,
Joe 

No comments:

Post a Comment