Friday, April 10, 2015

The Much Anticipated...

Dear Readers,

Please first allow me to thank you for staying strong and checking in, despite the paucity of updates.

The first four months of 2015 have flown by! They were chilly here in the North East, but also productive. I am currently working again with New York Opera Exchange, reprising the role of Don Jose, which I first sang at the University of Georgia!

Before I get too far into current events, I would like to share with you some rather flattering reviews I received from recent operatic performances. I am reminded of an anecdote, which was shared with my by Prof. Frederick Burchinal: A great tenor (Alfredo Kraus) said "I don't read the reviews because: if I believe the good ones, I have to believe the bad ones." I will try to cultivate this perspective but in the mean time... I felt obliged to shared these.

In January I sang the role of Mayor Upfold, in the Bronx Opera's production of Benjamin Britten's satirical comedy Albert Herring - as well as covering Albert (and performing in a reduced version for children). Of my performance as the Mayor DAVID SHENGOLD of Opera News wrote:
"Joseph Michael Brent, sang Mayor Upfold with a penetrating sound and remarkably projected diction (the best of the entire cast)."

 Shortly after, in February, I sang my first Edgardo in Lucia di Lammermoor, to which I received the following review from the allegriconfuoco bloggers:
"Tenor Joseph Michael Brent made me weep too, his sound is beautiful, round and tender but also agile and powerful. Brent is truly a romantic hero, with a handsome stage presence and an expressiveness to match. He also worked great in his duets with both Lucia (Ah! Verranno a te sull’aure) and Enrico (O sole piĆ¹ rapido a sorger t’appresta). In his arias in the finale, Brent was heart breaking, particularly in Fra poco a me ricovero, when Egardo still thinks that Lucia betrayed him. He may have rushed a touch too much in Tu che a Dio spiegasti l’ali, but otherwise proved himself as a swooningly excellent tenor."

It is very exciting to see and read that my hard work is being appreciated by strangers!! I am sure you could understand the sentiment. 

I leave for South Carolina in 10 days for Beethoven 9 and Brahms Liebes Lieder waltzes.

It's late o'oclock here in New York. 

As ever - Thanks for reading,
Sincerely yours,
Joe 

No comments:

Post a Comment