Thursday, July 2, 2015

Butterfly at Quisisana - Update 4

Dear Readers,

I have to admit that Wednesday night's show was a great success. Cheers to successful openings.

Pinkerton is starting to sit well in my body, and the cast is doing a fine job indeed.

"Bravi tutti" to the Butterfly Cast for a well received show.

Readers, this was the first time I was ever "booed." I was told that, before starting this summer, a tenor knows that he has done a good job portraying Pinkerton if he gets booed. Of cheers and booes I received both in abundance, which I am proud to have accepted - and proud to share.

While working on the beach today I was met with a mix of congratulations and condemnations, from audience members who refused to disassociate me from Pinkerton. It was the first time that any one has ever approached me as said "The only thing I can say to you is that I hated you from the first moment you entered. What an incredible performance, you were detestable." Guest after guest complimented my voice, my acting, and mauled me with endless adjectives describing the wretched and base attributes of Pinkerton's character. I was told "I don't like you." I over heard a guest say to his daughter "That was the bad man from last night."

The guests and I shared an illuminating and intense dialogue regarding Ellen Schlaefer's production. What a treat it is to discuss character choices, opinions, perspectives and motivations with an engaged audience.

The most rewarding comment was when a young man approached me and said "This was the first opera that I have ever been too. You know it is not really accessible. I think I want to see more. Do they do this often? Where can I see more?"

It is a challenging role. But I am enjoying this Pinkerton more and more every show - it will be the role I will have performed the most come September. Check back in two months from now.

AND NOW - for Beach photos:







No comments:

Post a Comment