Saturday, December 12, 2015

Past two weeks in review

Dear Readers,

A quick update from these last two weeks for you:

I had the great fortune to work with visiting guest artists Martin Katz, Kathleen Kelly, and Sara Chiesa.

We're ploughing through my repertoire. We worked through pieces by Wolf, Brahms, Donizetti, Romberg, Liszt, Verdi, Strauss, and Tchaikovsky. We worked through art song, arias, and operetta. It's really nice to woodshed old and new repertoire.

Meanwhile, we've also been preparing Copland's The Tender Land with Suzanne Acton, which opens in March.

Last, but not least, I have been preparing for a performance of Mozart's Missa Brevis [et solemnis] in C K.258 ("Spaur" or "Piccolimini"). Video Courtesy of You Tube

In preparation I've been watching and reading about historically informed performance practice. Check out this video.

Thanks for reading,
Joe

1 comment:

  1. Once again I learned something new from reading your blog: The word "woodshed." I had never heard, or even dreamed of it being used in this sense. But I found an appropriate definition in a mainstream, on-line dictionary. Toi, toi, toi! I learned that one a few years back.

    Bob Jackson

    ReplyDelete