Sunday, May 1, 2016

As the wheel spins

Dear Readers,

Our run of Macbeth was a success! It felt great to, after months od working for the Michigan Opera Theatre, actually sing a legitimate - albeit comprimario - role on stage at the Detroit Opera House.

Yes, I did sing 3rd SS Officer in Weinberg's The Passanger in November. Malcolm, the comprimario role that I sang in Macbeth, is a much more significant and fulfilling role than 3rd SS Officer. Malcolm also lacks the psychological, emotional, and existential hurdles present in every aspect of a piece like The Passanger.

Macbeth closed last Sunday and Magic Flute, which we are performing in English, startes rehearsals Monday. Only now, a full week later, do I feel like I have recovered. Most people don't explain the necessary emotional detatchment that comes with the end of a production. Having virtually no break between the two disperate operas - operas disperate in style, theme, and characterisation - has left me feeling uneasy.

Furthermore,  I am covering the role of Tamino while singing 2nd priest and 1st armoured man. As I am sure you assumed it means I spend all of my time in the rehearsal hall either on stage or sitting and observing... absorbing.

More soon...

Thank you for reading
Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment