Wednesday, October 28, 2015

food for thought

Dear Readers,

It has been about six weeks since I started working as the tenor studio artist for Michigan Opera Theatre. I am finally settling in to my new, albeit temporary, life in the Motor City. My new friend Bill Sullivan explained that I shouldn't refer to Detroit in that way any longer. Detroit is in fact building a new name for itself. I am excited to be a part of this cultural and economic renaissance.

Yesterday marked the first day of rehearsals for Michigan Opera Theatre's production of The Passenger. There are not enough words to describe the importance and significance of this work.

I sit, ruminating on mixed emotions. I will be singing the role of a sadistic Schutzstaffel (SS) Officer, along side my other male MOT studio artist. Performing a role like this, which is not only historically true and real, but a recent historical reality, necessarily challenges the emotional and intellectual sensibilities of the actor (singer). It brings the question of an actor's method and connection with a role into the foreground. Can I accurately and successfully "pretend" to be this character who is completely antithetical, from its very core, to me? Is it my job to blend the lines between "pretend" and "be"? Can I disassociate myself from my work and still give a successful performance?  What type of research should I do and how do I, should I, can I remove my opinion of the character from my exploration and preparation?

A view of Boll Hall on the first day of rehearsals for the revival of The Passanger
I also wonder what type of updates I should be making during this period as a resident artist. Do you want to hear about the exciting new experiences in detroit? Only opera relates news? Quick posts about the day-to-day life of a studio artist? Do you want to hear my inner monologue?

Your input is welcome. I'll try to find a good balance of it all.

Thank you for reading
Best
Joe

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your new "gig" and on other good things going on in your life. Is this your first "new" opera (i.e., not part of the standard repertoire)? I read a little about it before writing this; it sounds quite interesting. I'm sure you will do well in your role -- just think mean and vicious. From the picture you appear to be working in a very nice rehearsal space.

    ReplyDelete